Probate Lawyer New York
The process of dividing up property, money and other personal items upon a person’s death can be anything but simple. Sometimes there isn’t a will. Sometimes there is a will, but people still can’t agree on the contents and intent of the distribution. That’s why there’s probate.
Probate is the process by which legal title to property is transferred from the estate (the property or possessions) of a person who has died (the decedent) to the person or persons who are the beneficiaries of the estate.
Probate is an important process because it provides a legal way to determine who gets what after someone has died, and it is typically administered by courts who are non-interested parties to the estate.
- Probate Lawyers can help to minimize family conflict. Probate can be a time of great conflict in families, especially when the terms of a will are less favorable than some heirs might wish. A probate attorney can help to reduce these tensions and facilitate a smoother probate process for everyone involved in the settling of the estate.
- Probate Attorneys can sometimes expedite probate. The probate process can sometimes get bogged down in details, especially when the estate settlement is being managed by an inexperienced executor with little financial or legal knowledge. While probate attorneys don’t have any magic formula that can suddenly bring probate to a conclusion, they can be an invaluable aid for reducing the impact of all the many obstacles that may present themselves during the process. That is the precisely the reason to consider hiring a New York Probate attorney.
- Probate Lawyers can help answer your probate questions. Whether you’re an executor or an heir with an interest in the process, a probate attorney can help to get your questions answered. The fact is that probate can be a confusing time for everyone involved, and that confusion is magnified by the raw emotion that the death of a loved one always evokes. A good New York probate counselor can help to ensure that you understand the process, and know what to expect.
- A Probate counselor can help with court filings and technical details. Executors have many different responsibilities to fulfill, and many of those duties include important court filings that facilitate different aspects of the process. While you can draft those documents yourself, the stress of just losing a loved one might make that task something you’d prefer to avoid. Your probate lawyer can also help to ensure that you understand some of the finer technical points during probate, so that you don’t make needless mistakes.
- Probate Counselors can help to ensure that debts are properly paid. Executors sometimes struggle with the debt settlement part of the probate process, and may even cause unnecessary delays by being overly cautious. That’s understandable, since no executor wants to release inheritances only to see creditors come in later with unsettled debts that need to be addressed.
- Probate lawyers can help with specific specialty needs. There’s more to settling an estate than just settling debts. There are a host of processes that can require specialized skills. Various legal issues arise during many probate processes. By living in New York, it is advisable to look into finding a probate attorney that can help you in resolving any issues that can arise with a minimum of stress and concern.
- A Probate attorney can help an executor protect his interests. If you’re an executor, then you also need to understand that your personal interests could be at risk if you make an error that results in losses for the beneficiaries. Yes, there have been instances in which executor errors have resulted in legal action from heirs. Though having a probate lawyer cannot guarantee that no disgruntled heirs will sue you, it can help to ensure that you make sound decisions that limit the potential for mistakes that could place your personal wealth at risk.
- A Probate lawyer can help to relieve stress and simplify the process. Let’s face it; when a loved one dies, the last thing that any of us want to do is go through a complicated and drawn-out legal process to settle the estate. It’s necessary, though, since debts must be settled and assets must be passed on. The good news is that you don’t have to endure that stress on your own, or deal with the complexities without professional help.
- A Probate counselor can be there for you to lean on. An experienced probate attorney can help to simplify the entire probate process, guiding you through it in a way that reduces stress and anxiety. He or she can provide as much or as little help as you need. Moreover, that’s true whether you’re an executor or a would-be heir who wants to contest the will.
For individuals who have recently lost a loved one, there is nothing more important than finding a qualified and reputable probate attorney to attend to the legal matters that follow the passing of an individual. Just as Divorce counselors practice family law, probate attorneys specialize in this area. Most importantly, they have the experience and knowledge to assist you with every step of this process that often can be overwhelming. While it might feel as if the last thing you want to do is further explore the depths of what this passing means for you and your family, if left unattended there is no telling what the courts will – or won’t – do on your behalf. Taking action to ensure that probate defense is on your side is one the most important responsibilities after a death and one that can clearly be handled much more professionally and responsibly than some courts. Contact a probate lawyer in New York from our directory today at www.ProbateCounselors.net
Disclaimer: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of this article, it is not intended to provide legal advice as individual situations will differ and should be discussed with an expert and /or lawyer.